The North-Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences, Humanities and Arts has been founded in 1970 as successor of the Association for Research of North-Rhine-Westphalia, which has been initiated by the former Prime Minister Karl Arnold in 1950. Aim and purpose of this consolidation of the natural and technical sciences was to scientifically advice the Government of North-Rhine-Westphalia during the post-war-reconstruction.
With building the Karl-Arnold-House in Düsseldorf in 1960 the Association gained an own building in which it could fulfil its tasks. In 1970 it was renamed in “Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences”. From 1993 until 2008 it was called North-Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences.
In 2008 the Federal Government of North-Rhine-Westphalia decided to enlarge the Academy by a fourth class, the class of the arts. Since then the North-Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences is the first academy in Germany which has adopted the arts in a class of its own, where in 2009 the first members have been adopted to.
Today the North-Rhine-Westphalian Academy is divided in three scientific classes and one class of the arts. In order to promote young talents in North-Rhine-Westphalia with the support of the Mercator-Foundation the Young College has been founded, in the one of which up to 30 excellent young researchers of all disciplines can be elected.
Foto Header: Meike Wirsel
Executive Secretary: Christiane Dusch
Press-Spokesman / Young College: Dirk Borhart
Public Relations / Event Management: Esther Polito
General Administration / Research Projects: Bernhard Scharfenberger
Finances: Dirk Winkelmann
Library and Exchange of Documents: Corinna Jachmann
Media and IT: Armin Schönebeck
Presidential Office: Ute Neuss-Deneer
Office: Ingrid Schmitz | Martina Henke